Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Christmas & Life after COVID

This year has been horrible with COVID and it's restrictions and lockdown.  For Victorians we have had it hard, lockdown after lockdown. But we got through it now, which is amazing and great.

It was good for me in lockdown because I learnt how easy it is to shop online and really watch how much i was spending and also gave me a bit more time to really think if i needed that item or not.

When the shops re-opened a few weeks ago, I didn't rush out to the big shopping centres.  I stayed close to home and continued online shopping.  

Now with only 4 weeks to go until Christmas, I am very anxious. Reason is that I need to buy extra food/presents for Christmas and now I really hate crowds.

It's like I have gone from being kept away from people and crowds to now not wanting to go at all.  Can't stand it.

I have bought beach items for my 3 yr old granddaughter online about 2 months ago.  While away this week I walked into two pharmacies in the area and bought three more gifts.

All I really need to buy for is hubby and my boys. Then I am done.  

I think the key is to start early, have a plan of what to buy; how much to spend.  Try to stick to your budget, i know it's very easy to go overboard, but it's very hard to cope with afterwards.

And I have learnt that you don't need to spend too much. As long as the family/friends are together and enjoy the day - that's important to me.

Are others finding that COVID has changed them in regards to going out?  I think i am becoming more reclusive and happy to just stay at home.

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Christmas & Life after COVID

@BlueBay in regards to going out I understand ,Im also very slow at getting christmas organised this year,Ive not done much christmas shopping either although been putting a few food items away in Kitchen Cupboard but as for gifts a bit worried it will turn out to be last minute although to be honest Id rather spend time with family than having too many presents,family is more the focus this year it always is but even more so this year.

Hi @BlueBay @LostAngel . You have read my mind @BlueBay in terms of feelings about shopping and crowds after lockdown here in Melbourne and Victoria. With the way you describe your shopping experiences and your life with internet and not spending much money, I can understand.

I struggle with crowds now and have anxiety attacks regularly in shopping centres to the point where I just go in to the shops, get my things and get out because of this. It doesn't help that where I live and shop, there has been a high police presence and that makes my anxiety even worse despite knowing that I've done nothing wrong. The silly thing is, I didn't used to have bad anxiety until

the heavy restrictions came into play here in Melbourne and there were rules about when you could go out and why. Even seeking medical care after 8pm at a hospital didn't happen for me because I was so scared of driving and getting a fibe for being out after lockdown hours started. Even when the ships did reopen here in Melbourne, I didn't line up to go in as it felt weird and I was happy to wait unlike my family and friends who were bursting to go to the shops.

I still feel weird about the whole covid thing here in Melbourne because I'm slightly on edge about the constant rule changes and the fear of going into lockdown again. Also, people not obeying social distancing rules in the shopping centres annoys me because I don't want another wave to happen here in Victoria. Like you, I could easily spend more time at home and have learnt the benefits of this such as not spending as much money and I do enjoy being home as it gives me a chance to do uni study online and just look after my own self care needs. If I could move to a regional town, I would as I love the quietness of the country but that's not possible right now. I think if anything, this pandemic has taught us the values and benefits of many things we forget about previously.

Take care friends!

Judi9877☺️🌻

very true Jud9877

Covid was a huge hit to the whole world. I know some states in Australia got hit harder than others, bit every state struggled. Unfortunately for me it hit at a time when I really needed support. I couldn't get it as a result of covid. 

Anyhow, just want to say that these changes you are feeling are not such a bad thing. Perhaps go to the shops an hour or half an hour before close and it will be much quieter? 

It's manageable. You don't have to go back to the way things were before. If it works better now and isn't causing a problem then let it be. Just make sure to get excercise and fresh air. Not totally isolate. It could cause more harm than good. 

Hi @BlueBay 

Strangely I feel more comfortable with myself after lockdown and I haven't wanted to 'get back to normal'

In fact it's been quite liberating! 

It's been a great time for reflection and discovery for me. I've learnt so much about what truly makes me content and I've made a decision to do exactly that 😁 

So home it is for me and the occasional trip out to visit friends and to do shopping on the way home from my little part time job... 

I've also rekindled my love of cooking and of plants by taking a once a fortnight visit to the market, coming home with lovely fresh produce, herbs and vegetables to plant and with some of the money I've saved at the market I even brought a new top!

What's best though is that I am completely unapologetic for this change in my priorities and new choices... it's wonderful. 

At first I felt a little guilty but I've since come to the understanding that even (especially) in our most difficult of times we can learn and grow and that this is a very healthy response. It's a constant source of wonder to me that even in our fragility we seek to thrive 

I've never been a fan of Christmas crowds myself- my goal each year is generally to have the shopping done (presents at least) by 1st December so I don't have to go to the shops when it's at it's worst. Covid has certainly brought a new layer to this situation, although it's also got me more acquainted with online shopping, which can be useful, both to buy and to browse so if you do go in, you know exactly what you're after and you don't have to spend as long there. On that, for many of us I'm sure, there's things that Covid will have helped improve, so if there's a practice, like online shopping for example, that you've developed by virtue of Covid that works for you, I'd encourage you to keep going with it!

I suppose one really important thing to remember too is that it's 100, 1000% your choice whether or not you go to the shops, and also, when you go. Just because they're open doesn't mean you have to go. For me, if I have to go for something, I try and get there first thing, because often, especially if I'm going for something specific before the majority of the shops have opened, there's a lot less people there.  

Hi All, 

@BlueBay@Shazi55@Powderfinger@LostAngel@Judi9877 and anyone else passing through who may be interested, just in case you don't know already- there'll be a live reflection discussion early next week on the impacts of Covid19. More information here for anyone interested or would like to take part! 

TideisTurning 😊

Hi @TideisTurning
I’ve scheduled this into my Tuesday night plan so I’ll definitely be online. Maybe I’ll see you online as well?

Judi9877 ☺️

Hi @TideisTurning 

thanks for letting me know. I will join in on Tuesday. 
I think this year I was more organised than ever before. 
I was in hospital last week and when I came home I wrapped all presents and put under the tree. I then wrote some cards out. I write out a menu for Christmas Day lunch. So I know what to buy. 
I felt super organised. But I still had my two adult boys to buy presents. So hsrd. 
two days home and I was back in hospital with another issue but it was worse than the week before. So a week has now gone by. 
Going home tomorrow.  I'm going to now get boys vouchers 

Looking back to the year it was hard but we all got through it. It was nice at times to just stop and breathe. Just chill. 

looking forward to Christmas Day with my children and my 3 yr old granddaughter. The excitement and surprise look on her face will say it all. 
family to me is very important. It's a time to be together enjoy a meal and just have some fun. There's no time limit to anything. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance