Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

A_Nonie-Moss
Contributor

Doctor availability impacting on medication.

Hello everyone. 

I'm in a quandary and would appreciate some independent ideas. 

I live in rural Victoria and my local doctors is impossible to get into without a minimum 2 week wait. The nearest doctors available sooner is at least an hour away but won't have my medical history/medication information and I am unfortunately out of my meds AND any prescription relating to them. Like completely out. Like 3rd day no dose type out.

Any ideas on what to do?

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Doctor availability impacting on medication.

Hi @A_Nonie-Moss 

Sorry to hear you are stressing out over this, have you run out of medications before? Do you become unwell when you don't take medications? If you need urgent advice I'm sure you could ring one of the mental health phone lines, otherwise you could search the forums for similar topics.

I'm not sure but could you talk to the admin at your doctor's office and ask to have your history sent to the GP an hour away? I know an hour is terrible, but you should be able to get the two clinics to send resources to each other and hopefully be able to get your scripts after providing your records? 

Hello @A_Nonie-Moss 

My pdoc has a standing arrangement that I can call or email to ask for meds and he will send by snail mail or fax direct to chemist.  Can you phone yours and ask for similar?

Hi there @A_Nonie-Moss 

Sorry to hear this. Some really good ideas from @LeChuck and @justanotherguy .

It's a bit of a crappy situation with shortage of GPs right now. I am regional and have found my GP is getting harder to get into. Keep reaching out and let us know how you go.

Take care

Hanami

@hanami 

Can understand, getting good mental health support in regional areas has always been difficult. Was on tablets for years then was convinced to go on a depot - more painful, but never had to worry about running out. Was actually quite diligent with tablets for many years until suffered complete memory loss one day.

Yes and yes. I'm more than a little silly.

You see, this is actually a two pronged issue. Doctor availability is the part I've addressed here but the other part is financial. My family are low income. Very low income.

But as for the urgency of the issue, I just don't know.  I mean being a twit who's going through withdrawals doesn't really feel urgent to me a guess

I haven't been able to see one since pre2019. Again no availability. 

Hi @A_Nonie-Moss  and welcome to the forums. You have an all too familiar situation.

My chemist will give me a few days grace if my script runs out as they know it’s needed. I’m also able to get scripts from GP as well as pdoc but I’m not in a rural area.

I’m sure if you explain to the admin that you need scripts they could give you a cancellation.

Sorry it’s been so difficult. Thinking of you.

@A_Nonie-Moss Going through withdrawals is always urgent, twit or no twit! (Haha you are NOT a twit!). This is so important. Taking care of yourself and getting the things you need is never twitty

You should be able to have your records sent from wherever they are currently, to a bulk billing gp and they should be happy to dispense anything appropriate from your medical history. Hopefully you can find the nearest bulk billing gp, ask your old clinic to send your medical records through to them, and then have a free consult and get your scripts.

Please reach out as much as you need, through every step of the process you need support with. We don't always individually have the solutions but as a team, the SANE crew are pretty good, especially the peer support workers.

Wishing you all the best and please stay in touch, just want to help you on your journey.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance