Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: My schizophrenia

Thank-you for sharing, Rosie. As a Schizophrenic currently in recovery myself, I understand your struggles with the stigma attached to this illness. If nothing else, know that you’re not alone in this, and with time and on-going education made available to our communities about our illness, that we will someday live stigma-free and proud of the experiences we have been through and won.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi I'm a new member and I have schizoaffective disorder, schizophrenia or an unknown disorder - still figuring it out. I was diagnosed in 2011 but have been recluse about it until 2016 when I started to take the illness seriously, ie taking meds. And only really started talking about it with family and friends and reading up on it. I'm hoping I can get everything under control by seeing counselors and my psychiatrist re. My illness and the stigma that comes with it. I'm hoping I can find a group where I too can share my experiences and feel like I'm not alone in all of this. To wrap things up your post was a glimpse of how I can turn things around and it was a positive and uplifting thing to read. So thank you. I'm hoping I can find some friends along the way to share my story with too.

kindest regards,

itsjustme1

Hello @Former-Member and welcome. If you are in for a social evening we have the The Weekly Friday Feast and would love you to join us. I'll duck in and tag you. There are lots of supportive members here and I can assure you that you will not feel alone. 🤗😊

Why oh why do us with the misfortune of being diagnosed with schizophrenia feel like we are lepers.

Its due to others, that's why. I am completely enraged 😡Watched a recent episode of Ambulance, where in true uneducated media fashion, the poor guy with psychosis who is pleading for help is deemed potentially violent. For the love of god!

I work a full time job, I have a degree, I am married, I love fashion & I also have schizophrenia. However am I permitted by society to add to to the list..NO! For fear of the same reaction that particular television show portrayed. It must remain hidden so as to not upset others or have them begin to fear the person diagnosed.

Cancer survivors wear badges of honour. Does the media portray a cancer sufferer as it's their fault? That they are potentially dangerous or just downright nutty? I'm well & truly over it. Living a life of hushed tones from family members. Feeling less than worthy. 

I am completely over it. Enough BS & stigma about schizophrenia. It's time society allowed us to come out of the darkened & at times scary closet & be proud of who we truly are...human. 

Enough of my rant!

Have a great night.

Hello  @Coffeelover

and

@Rosie @Anastasia @Former-Member @MinnaBee333  @Milk  @myoctopus @Appleblossom @MinnaBee333 @Bezak482 @Judi9877  @greenpea @Eve7  @Anastasia @NatureLover  @Mazarita @Former-Member  @Emelia8  @StuF @Schitzo

@Phoenix80 @Queenie @Eden1919 @Teej @Libra @KAn1 @universepocket @Ayesha @Notsomentalau @Shazab @Shimmer @rogueone @R4012 @Fractured @Tracey

@Organism @Jennifer12345 @theaveragejoe @Hunter @1221 @crimson_celt

"

In responding to your post, I have invited a few people, some from a while back, along for the conversation, which may, hopefully, be productive.

"

It is my belief and understanding that this forum community is a place where we can each share our thoughts and feelings, sometimes our anger. Here people will listen, generally without judgement and with caring understanding, following that with any observations that they feel may be helpful or constructive. From an outsider's perspective, it seems that anger and rage really add to the negative perceptions in the "wider community".

"

If there is to be change, it seems to me that it has to be initiated "at Source", meaning by the people who are affected by this issue, rather than the therapists, counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists. I can say, that even as a member of this forum, I know very little about the affects of schizophrenia and know little, if anything, about how a person deals with their own experience of schizophrenia.

"

I believe that this forum is a place where such changes can be explored. That the information, experience, confronting issues, can be presented in a way that allows others to give feedback and support. And in an environment where our own identity is protected by the pseudonym and avatar. The forum, while some of its function is to provide people with an environment for humour and simple courtesies and distractions from the everyday burden of their problems, can also be a place for ideas, presentations and formats to be developed and, when appropriate, be more widely distributed throughout the community.

"

I do hope that, as a person who faces other MH issues in my life, I am generally more understanding and empathic toward people, with a range of MI/D's, than others who are functioning "normally", or think that they are, and have little knowledge or contact with people who have MI/D issues. Some of the issues that I face, about which I sometimes can't be specific, partially because of lack of attention and treatment earlier in life, when I, as I am now aware, was not functioning in the way that would "normally" have been expected. So, towards the end of my life, I am trying to sort out the original issues and the tangle created in my life, because those issues were ignored, considered insignificant, or I thought that the way, and the conditions, under which I was living, were the same as for everyone else.

"

If I can contribute anything to your post, I hope it would be to encourage you and others in similar positions, to consider using the forum as a sounding board for ideas that may then be extended out into the "wider community".

"

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

@HenryX 

Your posts are always so elegant. Not to mention informed, inclusive and inspiring of thought.

I don't have a lot to add in reply. But I would reiterate the sense of a community here, that helps in many ways...And I'm grateful to be able to say that in this forum, my schizoaffective disorder has never left me feeling 'outside' or 'other' in my interactions. Hopefully we can expand such acceptance into the broader community over time. We as a society have already come a long way, but there is certainly still a long road ahead

Hi @StuF 

Thank you for your comment Stu, very much appreciate the positive affirmation. Definitely helps to keep spirits up.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hello @Rosie , as the initiator of this thread  Thankyou for your presence and also the acknowledgement given by your "Support"

Thank you to @StuF , @Anastasia  , and @Appleblossom for your encouragement and acknowledgement by "Support". And also, everyone else who has participated in this thread, Thank you.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Yes let's aim to de stigmatize sz and sz effective disorder outside of this wonderful, remarkable community.

That's on my agenda at the very top, and I will do what I can for as long as I am on this planet 💕

Together we roar

@HenryX @Rosie @StuF @Coffeelover @Former-Member @Appleblossom @Sophia1 all here 🙏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance