Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Out of options for my brother

Hi,

I must say you are already an awesome sister caring so much about your brother’s wellbeing. I can totally relate with your situation. My sister is in Chile (I’m in Australia with my husband). She has Borderline disorder, alcoholism, and has a daughter. It impresses me that you FaceTime once a week. I can do it once two months because it always leaves me with anxiety attacks.

In your case, my suggestion is to help however you can, but the worst part of mental illness is that we simply can’t control it. That being said, whatever you do, a next problem will arise. Chaos is the only constant. If you have you can only live your life for yourself. I understand you, guilt is a powerful emotion, but self preservation and self respect needs to prevale. I feel same as you, always with the doubt if I should be doing more but talking about it with others always helps. 

I send you a big hug 

Hey there @Kote ,

Welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you are doing what you can to both support your family and look after yourself.

I'm so glad you have been able to reach out and share with the community here.

We look forward to seeing you around!

Hi @Kote ,

Thank you very much for your kind words, it really helps to have lovely people in similar situations reinforce the idea that I need to look after myself and that talking to my brother every day is actually enough, I shouldn't panic about it all. You've said it so well. I'm grateful for the support and I send you a big hug too. Have a great day!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance