Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Skantz
Contributor

Hello Members introduction

Hi Fellow travellers on this journey of life

Many years ago I needed web design and business cards designed for a business I was starting and met this bubbly friendly Beautiful young graphic designer. We were both faithfully attached to respective partners but our association continued on a business and often social basis. Fast forward to about 18 months to 2 years ago after life had bounced a few surprises at us and I suggested that we should not be sitting at home and should have dinner together.

I didn't really appreciate what was about to happen. This lady was beautiful kind smart and hard to live without. But I soon learnt that all is not as it seems. That wrist support was not for muscle pain and there was a long history of self harm written across her body

Had I not known the Lady from our business days I would have headed for the hills

But here I am.

Struggling with a health system without the right tools. I'm a tradie who knows that anytime you see blood you have usually just made a very poor judgement decision. Now I'm told by ambulance officers that it's not deep and that's just what "they" do!!

Im sorry I have struggled with forums as when I'm doing it tough I find it unhelpful to realise that there are other people doing it tougher. And usually they are!

But just telling my story has given me some selfish relief. This Beautiful Lady was transferred from a voluntary clinic into the acute care psychiatric ward because according to the doctors they weren't able to guarantee her safety!!

I know one Psychiatrist that earnt her $300/hr when I most impolitely asked why it was assumed that I was expected to keep her safe by the hospital system for six months after her first attempt to "quieten the noise" but now she has just passed the buck. She was the one with the training and expertise and I was a tradie.

Again it gave me nothing but a relief valve vent.

If you read this far I thank you for listening and I hope we all see our loved ones recover to some semblance of "functionality"

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Hello Members introduction

@Skantz  🌷🌻🌹😇💞

Emelia 

@Emelia8 

Thanks for finishing my rambling and your kind thoughts 

Pleasure @Skantz ðŸ˜„ You were not rambling. In fact your post was a well worded, thoughtful and heartfelt account of all that you and your friend are going through. Thank you for sharing.

I would also like to extend a very warm welcome to the Forums. I hope you find them to be a helpful and supportive place to be.

You are very welcome to join in discussions on any existing threads if you choose. And if you have any questions, please just ask. 🌺

Emelia 🌷

Thanks

Hi @Skantz 

Welcome!

Firstly kudos to you my friend. I admire you for taking on the care of your friend. There are lots of carers here and hopefully you being here will help to feel less alone and perhaps bounce things off others with similar journeys. Tag me anytime and take care of you 🙂

Thanks @Anastasia 

Thankfully my partner offers plenty in other areas. She is smart, creative and has a mind blowing knowledge of Australian Bird Rescue husbandry. I find her very attractive and she seems to be into me.

Had I learnt about her black dog that follows her around when we first met I would not have pursued a relationship. But thankfully I saw everything else first and realised this is just a small part of what she offers me.

You're a good egg @Skantz 

She's lucky and so are you. Life would be bland without our loved ones 🤗

Great to have you as part of the family. I'll introduce some other carers that are "good eggs" too 🙂

@Emelia8 @Shaz51 @Determined @Faith-and-Hope @Smc 

Hi @Skantz and welcome to the forums 👋

Here and listening too.  All we can do is offer who we are and what we can manage in the moment, and hope that is enough. 

My loved one is not my loved one any more - he is with someone else now, but I stayed with him and supported him as long as I could.  Thought I was dealing with an eating disorder, but apparently addictions are part of the the "real" disorder that he has.  I do still appreciate who I thought he was, and I have a lot of beautiful memories from that former life.

Long story short, our kids have been affected, so I am still here as a carer, and dealing with issues around our very messy divorce.

One very important thing I have learned on this journey though is just how important it is to care for yourself as a carer.  Ask this question periodically ..... "Who is caring for the carer ?" and see what you can answer.  We can't do the work of the professionals, but we do a very important job

that the professionals can't do, and that is to walk along with our loved ones, and let them know they are our loved ones .....

That wasn't enough with my soon2bx's apparent condition, because it involves wearing a mask and "mirroring" ..... copying your behaviours and values back to you so you think you have found your soulmate ..... but I have also learned how strong I am, and how special this community is in the powerful support offered here.

Welcome, and it's good to see / hear you ..... 

Thank you @Faith-and-Hope 

You are so wise and always have just the right words xxx

@Skantz 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance