Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: World Bee Day

@Abner  a talking cockroach 🪳?! 

@Owlunar2 ? Honeywell 

I’ve often wondered about the use of last names on the forum.

Last names are reasonably common.

I have one of the most common first name/last name combinations.

G

Scientists found that out by specifically observing cockroach behaviour in lab controlled experiments. They actually go and clean themselves after being touched by a human.

And like all animals they communicate.

Hi @Abner 

Well ye learn something new everyday, I will now use that cockroach fact on my unsuspecting friends, who will no doubt roll their eyes, as I am known for my tangents in my conversations....... Asgard

@Abner  I hate to burst your bubble, but a cockroaches obsessive cleaning habit is part of it’s Autonomous nervous system, not a reaction to humans.

That theory has been debunked.

https://www.wunc.org/science-technology/2013-02-05/cockroaches-obsessive-grooming-habit 

Hi @Abner 

I love bugs too - though I am not that excited when I find them inside my house - that can feel icky.

But outside - I love them - the arthropods are vital to the ecosystem - especially ants.

My gardener set a lot of green leafy seedlings in pots for me yesterday - I wanted non-toxic slug and snail deterrent - google told me they don't like pebbles or broken eggshells - and my gardener told me to sprinkle salt around the pots - so they have all of that.

But cockroaches - they can stay away - and it's okay if they think I am yucky too - I am not sure where they belong

All the best

Owlunar 

Hi @Glisten 

I took my grandmother's name when I separated from my husband - my parents were furious but I felt free to please myself 

My married name is rare even with its variety of spellings - I think it originally came from Cornwall - I didn't like it - now in my senior years I wonder why young women give up their name when they marry - why should they? - unless they really want to.

My grandparents were migrants from Great Britain - when I realised everyone in the family that I knew had the same surname I wanted my maternal grandmother's name - now I have lived happily with it for well over thirty years. It's Northern Irish. It's very common so I could possibly post - however the rules here maintain our privacy - which is safe I guess.

All the best Glisten

Owlunar

They're known in the entomology world as nature's vacuum cleaners @Owlunar, they're actually vital, they clean the icky we all leave behind and can't possibly clean because we're not tiny enough to get into and clean it, and by crawling around in the soil, which is the result of billions of lives and deaths, they help till soil on a microscopic level..So those are somethings we mammals and reptiles are too hopelessly enormous to be able to do...and cockroaches are only as dirty as the mess they're cleaning by living on is. They literally eat our yucky.

Hi @Shaz51 - I'm a week late.. but on my birthday over the weekend this little buzzing bee came and landed on the car window and I was fascinated by looking at it's under belly!

Wanted to share with you all, as it's relatable! 😄

@lavenderhaze @BPDSurvivor @ShiningStar

Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 11.32.14 am.png

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance